.....And I looked up, and it was me, on Top of the Pops!
6-5-82: Presenter: Simon Bates
(31) JUNIOR – Mama Used To Say
Richard Blackwood's uncle gets the show underway, with what would become the first of two top ten hits when it peaked at number 7.
(34) DEPECHE MODE – The Meaning Of Love
Edited out of tonights early showing and even though it got to number 12 we won't get to see it again!
(2) ENGLAND WORLD CUP SQUAD – We’ll Fly The Flag
They threw everything into this, the star names like Keegan and Hoddle, together with half of British Airways' stewardesses and official England fan Ken Baily, but could this be the performance that won them the honour of being the 500th number one?
(3) PhD – I Won’t Let You Down
Falling victim to the 7.30pm edit yet again! But I'm sure we will see them on BBC4 next week.
(32) TIGHT FIT – Fantasy Island
The follow up to their number one, and they are actually singing on it themselves this time, made it to number 5, but it was to be their final top 30 success.
(30) TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR F.A. CUP FINAL SQUAD – Tottenham, Tottenham
A second football song, this time its Chas & Dave and Spurs again - it was not as successful as last year's Ossies Dream though, peaking at number 19.
(27) PATRICE RUSHEN – Forget Me Nots
This was Patrice's only top 30 hit, peaking at number 8.
(13) SCOTTISH WORLD CUP SQUAD – We Have A Dream
Would you believe we now have a third football song on the show, this one being by far the most eccentric, fronted by a manic John Gordon Sinclair, and helped out with wacky sound effects from BA Robertson. It somehow made it to number 5.
(1) PAUL McCARTNEY & STEVIE WONDER – Ebony And Ivory (video)
A third and final week at number one, so very fitting that at the end of the video who should drop into the live studio (for the first time since late 1974) to say hello to Simon but Paul McCartney himself, with his wife Linda.
(5) BANANARAMA & FUN BOY THREE – Really Saying Something (and credits)
We close the show with another studio performance, Really Saying Something now at its chart peak.
The next edition is May 13th 1982, but it is hosted by DLT so BBC4 are skipping it in favour of May 20th, which will be shown next Friday.