Friday, 14 August 2026

Bag it Up Top of the Pops

 Men are from Venus and girls are from the 24th of March 2000 edition of Top of the Pops!


Bag hit


24-3-2000:   Presenter:  Gail Porter

(3) CHICANE feat. BRYAN ADAMS – Don’t Give Up
Last week's number one.

(18) MACY GRAY – Still
Here with her second of five top 40 hits but it got no higher.

(2) BLINK 182 – All The Small Things
Making their studio debut with their first of two top ten hits, this one was the biggest and it was at its peak.

(4) ATB – Killer 2000
With his third of four top ten hits but this Adamski/Seal cover got no higher.

(14) EMBRACE – You’re Not Alone
In the studio with their fifth of sixteen top 40 hits, but it got no higher.

(6) DR. DRE feat. SNOOP DOGG – Still D.R.E.  (video)
His first of five top ten hits but this one got no higher.

(15) WILL SMITH – Freakin’ It  (video)
At its peak.

(23) NO DOUBT – Ex-Girlfriend
Here tonight but could get not higher.

(1) GERI HALLIWELL – Bag It Up  (and credits)
One week at the top.


11 comments:

  1. TOTP New Chart & TOTP2 https://fromsmash.com/TOTP-New-Chart-12th-and-19th-MarchTOTP2-15th-March-2000

    Only one TOTP2 this week and next week will be the final TOTP New Chart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rob!

      Delete
    2. Cheers Rob, It's been fun watching the The New Chart, as I hadn't seen them before.
      I shall be wearing my black arm band next week.

      Delete
    3. Cheers Bobby

      Delete
  2. Hi all, No 2000 Totp so I assumed that there wouldn't be a posting for the August '78 edition on the blog. If it's ok Angelo may I add a post on that edition here? It was a cracker.
    The change of schedule was entirely right. A shock that one of the greats of popular song is suddenly no longer here. I was at her Glastonbury legend show. I missed the first 20 or so minutes due to charging up my phone on a bicycle in the greenfields. Not the greatest idea if you're in a hurry to catch someone but I was well into 'Glastonbury Time' by that point. By the time I got there you could only go up the side in single file it was so crowded but i got to the middle for the last part and she was as everyone knows, magnificent. I Will Always Love You was the most beautiful comforting sound after the stormy weather we'd had that weekend. Rip.

    24/08/78:
    David Jensen on reliably good form, gently witty and affable as always. I thought his hairstyle displayed a rare iffyness this week but apart from that a fine job. The set is '78. Enough said.
    Andy Gibb with the rundown and another case of fortune favouring the tuneful with his picture appearing just a second after his voice starts. Not as good as 'Shadow Dancing'.

    Bilbo; I read that they were originally called Bilbo Baggins which doesn't sound any more appealing. Regulation one off, late '70s, bigger hair than is currently cool with extrovert faces pulled, older than average pop with copious Accordion. The drumner looked rather out of place.

    David Essex; A not very engaging start has a not very good 2nd act though David Essex is a copper plated pop star even in a daft mustache. The song? Literally following 'Don't Cry For Me Argentina' probably works in the context of 'Evita' but makes hard going as a pop single. The disco rhythm sounded great for 'Silver Dream Machine' but doesn't work with this tune. Maybe a pause then a dramatic string section would've helped.

    Blondie; Then suddenly, we have lift off! Blondie in the studio with Debbie looking as nonchalantly cool as any pop star has ever looked on TV. Hair immaculate and bearing a camera. Well, picture that. She's smiley then sultry at all the right times then staring distractedly at Frank Infante's guitar solo. All under a set that looks like the crystal dome during a near death experience. That could be the best totp clip of the '70s.

    Jilted John; It's always good when David gets to introduce the novelty records. He's the best presenter for having the if it's catchy why not? attitude although I wouldn't call 'Jilted John' one of the novelties of the decade, just funny and stupid and very of it's time. I'm glad it was shown and the salty words at the end weren't bleeped out with just a little mention of possible offence to come from the continuity announcer. The visual impact is a little muted by a dull red light that illuminates the stage but it doesn't get in the way of Graham Fellowes' really funny mannerisms or their zombie's humourous nothingness and he gets another turn later on.











    ReplyDelete
  3. Woman oOusPt.2 (delayed due to phone battery and shift):

    The Motors; Bawm! Bawm! Yes it's that one. Maybe they simply ran out of ideas after 'Airport' which is full of them. Still 'Forget About You' is catchy although an air of desperation is hard to avoid. Sadly this isn't preceeded by David Jensen being rugby tackled by members of the audience or a Legger smashing a cricket ball into the camera lens. Just very ordinary looking blokes singing a bouncy song.

    Foreigner; I like 'Cold As Ice' which is a curious mix of archetypal big men with big love issues rock song but set to a jaunty rhythm that made me think of the theme to 'Sesame Street'. Good chorus. Video; guess.

    Hi Tension; Love 'British Hustle'. Was the first vocal fade in a production error they left in because it sounded good? I love how it rattles along with all the other rhythms flying around and it is, well, tense, but joyously so. I still forget where the title phrase comes in again. For years I thought they were singing 'the British are soft'. The crowd really enjoyed it, dancing happily along, when a camera isn't smashing a path through them. In honour of the 1st vocal of this I'll just end by saying it was really enjoya

    Boney M; To a cheap big top and a single that was sent back up again by flipping it and to me 'Brown Girl In the Ring' is just as catchy as the A side. I have some very fond, far off memories of this single, as I would have of big tops. Is anyone else of a certain age who remembers 'Barnaby' on BBC1?
    It's always enjoyable to see Legs and Co dancing with male audience members, this time made more entertaining by the presence of Graham Fellowes and his zombie who shuffles about before getting a dance with Lulu. A bloke who dances about as well as him I think gets a dance with Rosie.

    The Jam: On a climb with 'David Watts' at 32. The straight in at No.1 days still some way off but their status is already clear. Evidenced by the crowd that leap around at the front. Presumably their fans who found out they were going to appear. Always good to see Foxton taking center stage.

    The Commodores; A slightly dull ending although a classic song. Legs & Co not doing much between scenes of the band not doing much either. Good fashionwear on show though particularly alongside a bloke in a regulation double striped jacket who opens a car door.

    A particularly glamourous woman who hangs on to David's arm laughs her head off before the Rezillos mock the whole thing to the lights.

    Raining again.



    ReplyDelete
  4. TOTP 24-3-00 Seven unremarkable, forgettable tracks which have not stood the test of time and I doubt anyone is bothered about them 26 years later. As for the other tracks.....Blink 182 All The Small Things is a banger and still played by pub cover bands today. I also believe Still D.R.E by Dre & Snoop Dogg is regarded as a hip hop classic.

    ReplyDelete