Thursday 23 December 2021

Viva Top of the Pops

 BBC4 is taking us for a little peek into the future tonight with the quite excellent 25th of December 1998 edition of Top of the Pops!

Spice Christmas


25-12-98:   Presenters:  Kate Thornton, Jamie Theakston & Jayne Middlemiss

SPICE GIRLS – Viva Forever
THE TAMPERER feat. MAYA – Feel It
(62) STARDUST – Music Sounds Better With You  (montage of TOTP clips)
(3) DENISE & JOHNNY – Especially For You
ROBBIE WILLIAMS – Angels
B*WITCHED – C’est La Vie
MOUSSE T. versus HOT ‘N’ JUICY – Horny
(1) SPICE GIRLS – Goodbye
ALL SAINTS – Never Ever/Under The Bridge
FAT LES – Vindaloo
LeANN RIMES – How Do I Live
BOYZONE – No Matter What
CELINE DION – My Heart Will Go On
(10) JANE McDONALD – Cruise Into Christmas
(4) CHER – Believe  (and credits)

8 comments:

  1. As I said on the 1978 post, I really enjoyed this edition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 300k watched this episode on BBC Four yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's still a healthy audience for Top of the Pops ~ the beeb must surely by now regret axing it - and does anyone even watch MTV anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If TOTP were still on,who would watch it?The middle-aged watch it now on Four reliving memories.A young music fan today doesn't need a TOTP like i imagine we all did in the '70s & '80s.They can go a singer's website and find anything without even looking at TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as there's always that element of something crashing into your life when you don't expect it or ask for it. I hope those moments can still happen. TV to me still seems as good a place as any for that.

      Delete
  5. I think the modern Xmas day and New Year editions still get a fairly decent audience on BBC1. Maybe they should do Spring, Summer and Autumn specials too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Curious that Billie Piper, who had two number ones in 1998, is absent from the lineuo here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually this year was the very first Christmas top of the pops that I didn't see! I caught the last 10 mins with a nice feature of the top 5 best selling Christmas No.1s (didn't know Don't You Want Me was among them) and Ladbaby, Hemel Hempstead's biggest pop export (sorry Dave Vanian!). I must now be officially old in that I happily acquiesced to my Dad's request to watch Casablanca. As always the show did look good and I will catch the New Years Eve edition.

    ReplyDelete